Background Information

Growing up I had issues with my hearing that greatly effected my journey to the love of reading. My parents share stories with me that anytime someone would try to read to me I would shut down and cover my ears. I was overwhelmed with frustration that I could not hear what the person was reading to me. There was only one book that I would willingly read and that book was called “Tulip Sees America” by Cynthia Rylant and illustrated by Lisa Desimini. Although I struggled with a desire for reading my mom never gave up and continually brought me to the Kimberley Public Library which is where I found this book around the age of 7:

When I started kindergarten it became evident that I used a lot of lip reading for success and struggled with reading. I did have a few surgeries which ended up helping my hearing immensely and got me back on track with reading. I began to enjoy reading other books over the years such as Geronimo Stilton; however, I always felt my favourite book and spark towards enjoying reading was “Tulip Sees America”. I was lucky enough to have found a copy of it at a garage sale a few years ago. I have decided to hold onto it for my future classroom so that hopefully someone can enjoy it as much as I have. I believe that this book was the one that changed my perspective that reading really can be enjoyable.

Summary of Tulip Sees America

My own summary: A young boy who comes from a family of homebodies set’s out on a journey in his green Volkswagen Beetle to see America with his dog Tulip. The two of them go through a series of adventures across the state and eventually end up in Oregon which is where they decide to stay. The vibrant illustrations immerse the reader into the beauty of the different landscapes across America.

If you would like to read this book I have attached a YouTube Read-a-loud below:

Mr. Inquiry on YouTube

Watershed books

In our literacy class last year we read the textbook “From Striving to Thriving” by Stephanie Harvey and Annie Ward.

This text introduced me to the concept of a watershed book which is the book that activates a students enjoyment and love for reading and can bridge the gap of striving readers to become thriving readers (Harvey & Ward, 2017, p. 146/147). It is our job as educators to book match with students relentlessly. Never give up, once you find the right book at the right time that is when the magic and love for reading begins. Below is a short one-minute video of suggestions on how to match students with the right book:

From YouTube

Reflecting on my own elementary school experience I believe that my watershed book or the book that changed everything was indeed “Tulip Sees America” by Cynthia Rylant and Lisa Desimini.

Why?

I believe that “Tulip Sees America” was the one book that changed reading for me because of the following reasons:

• Bright and intriguing illustrations
  • Poetic and repetitive nature of the words
  • Not overwhelming with the amount of words per page (high reward to low effort ratio)
  • I love animals and this book was based around a dog
  • I would ask to go back to the Public Library to rent it repetitively
  • I enjoyed reading this book aloud to my family and friends
  • It built up my confidence to begin trying to read more difficult books

What is your book that changed everything? I would love to know!

Thank you for following along,

~Chelsea

Harvey, S., & Ward, H. (2017). From striving to thriving: How to grow confident, capable readers. Scholastic. 

Inquiry., Mr. (2021, June 11). Tulip sees America read aloud by Cynthia Rylant. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dj7Rer5fgg&t=18s 

Kimberley Public Library. (n.d.). https://kimberley.bc.libraries.coop/ 

Rylant, C., & Desimini, L. ill. (1998). Tulip sees America. Scholastic, Inc. 

YouTube. (2018, March 21). Matching students with the right book. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvQmPJy76Jc