This week I am beyond excited to explore equine therapy with you all! This topic is what intrigued me to use animal assisted therapy as my passion project. Horses have been my biggest support in healing through a lot of my life and I can see how they would immensely help a lot children in our schools.

What is Equine Therapy?

Equine Therapy is the use of horses and a professional (psychologist, councillor, social worker..) that work together with individuals to positively impact well-being (Dr Azmaira H. Maker, 2019).

Chelsea sharing a moment with the horse also named Chelsea

Benefits of Equine Therapy on Well-being

Dr. Azmaira H. Maker, wrote a summary of the benefits of equine therapy on human beings. I believe that all children and teachers could benefit from these things which are:

1. Trust: Learning to build trust with a horse will help build trust in your own relationships.
  2. Lower Anxiety: Research has shown that horses can reduce anxiety in children and adults.
  3. Minimize Feelings of Depression: Horses are unconditional lovers and this reduces the feeling of isolation and allows the feeling of being accepted. This can then translate into children and adults involvement in society and less isolation that leads to depression.
  4. Mindfulness: Helps with emotional regulation. Human emotions translate directly to horses and are mirrored in their behaviour. Having children learn to stay focused, calm, and fully engaged in a session is a great way to teach mindfulness.
  5. Self-Esteem: Having the challenge of doing new tasks with horses in a completely zero judgement atmosphere allows confidence to build. Because horses are unconditionally accepting this allows for the time and space to achieve tasks with out pressure and complete them at a pace and way that is right for that child, thus building their confidence.
  6. Impulse Regulation: The need to communicate with a horse calmly tremendously helps children who lack behavioral control and emotional regulation.
  7. Self-Efficacy: Successfully completing various challenges and exercises with a horse in a non-verbal environment helps foster problem-solving strategies and motivation to continue solving problems.
  8. There are many more great things that equine therapy do: Influence a positive Identity, facilitate communication, growth with nature, self-acceptance, social skills, assertiveness, boundaries, creativity, and perspective and so much more.

All of these incredible benefits of equine therapy would help foster a healthy and positive community environment in classrooms.

As classrooms continue to see more diversity, I want to share this video of how equine therapy is helping children with Special Needs and why students could benefit from this form of therapy:

Horseback Riding is Proving to be Great Therapy for Special Needs Kids on YouTube

Are There Any Opportunities for Equine Therapy Near Cranbrook, B.C?

I have spent much time looking into a place that would welcome a school classroom (Field trip) into an equine therapy session and unfortunately, I have not had much success. The amount of benefits that equine therapy has on well-being of children and adults, it is surprising to not see more opportunity for this form of therapy around Cranbrook, B.C. Through my research, I noticed how much Australia has taken to equine therapy, and I would love to see this come to the Kootenay’s as Horse Therapy Canada explains that most benefit providers will cover equine therapy.

I encourage you to look through the website: Sydney Equine Therapy. This image shows how great equine therapy could work for a school field trip or even better right in the school curriculum.

Image from Sydney Equine Therapy

Three Questions for You This Week:

1: What are your ideas, thought, and opinions on equine therapy?

2: Have you heard of anywhere around Cranbrook, B.C that would do a class equine therapy session?

3: Have you ever experienced equine therapy before? If so, how did it help you?

Thank you so much for exploring equine therapy with me this week,

Chelsea

Equine assisted therapy, youth leadership with horses, fun activities for children, adults and the family. Horse Therapy Centre of Canada. (n.d.). Retrieved October 7, 2022, from https://www.horsetherapycanada.com/ 

Global News. (2022). Horseback Riding is Proving to be Great Therapy for Specal Needs KidsGlobal News. Retrieved October 7, 2022, from https://globalnews.ca/video/8962762/equine-therapy-can-be-a-therapeutic-option-for-some ( VIDEO). 

SUNUPTV. (2009, July 24). Horseback riding is proving to be great therapy for special needs kids. YouTube. Retrieved October 6, 2022, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY00fbnitQA 

Sussex Publishers. (n.d.). Equine assisted therapy: A unique and effective intervention. Psychology Today. Retrieved October 7, 2022, from https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/helping-kids-cope/201903/equine-assisted-therapy-unique-and-effective-intervention 

Therapy services: Sydney Equine therapy. Select the category. (n.d.). Retrieved October 7, 2022, from https://www.sydneyequinetherapy.com.au/therapy-pony-visits