1. Personal Connections to the Theme of Wisdom Through Art

I created a cross-curricular unit around the books of “Turtle Island Voices”. One of the books was called “The Hunt” and the students Identified one of the themes as sharing wisdom between generations.

“The Hunt” from Turtle Island Voices

Connection to Art

A) I introduced the project by first defining wisdom: “Wisdom is an understanding of that which is true or good” (Kids Wordsmyth, 2024).

B) Next, I facilitated a class discussion of students’ personal connections to wisdom through the following questions:

1. Share a time when you received wisdom from someone.
  2. Share a time when you shared words of wisdom with someone.

I circulated and checked in with each student and asked them to share one scenario with me and that this is what they will share through an art project using oil pastels. I made a list/ description with each students art project idea.

C) Shared the project criteria with students with the below anchor chart and answered any questions the students had.

D) I showed students a model example that I created. I shared with them how my mom gave me the wisdom that I can achieve anything with hard work and perseverance. Below is my example. I also went through my example and showed how it met all of the project criteria.

Miss Blake’s Model Example

E) I gave students time to create their oil pastel drawings. Below is one student’s example:

This student connected their art to the theme of wisdom as their picture represents how “My dad taught me how to tie my own shoes”- Student.

F) Student’s then were required to fill out a self-assessment of their project based on the criteria prior to handing it in. If any areas were not checked off they needed to revise their work to include it.

Student example of self-assessment

G) Below is our class bulletin board full of the student’s amazing creativity:

2. Watercolour Paintings: Connecting with Nature

A) First, I took the students outside and read them the book “Sometimes I Feel Like a River” by Danielle Daniel and Josee Bisaillon.

Reading “Sometimes I Feel Like a River”

b) I printed/ laminated each illustration that resembles one of the poems in the book. I then asked students to line up behind the element of the environment that they resonate with today. Students then shared out in a circle of which one they connected with.

“Today I feel like the sky, free and happy- Student”

C) Students answered 4 questions connecting to the book. Below are some student samples:

“Sometimes I Feel Like a Star”
“Sometimes I Feel Like a River”
“Sometimes I Feel Like Thunder”
“Sometimes I Feel Like a Mountain”

D) I gave students a model example + project criteria on an anchor chart + taught them watercolour painting techniques.

E) I gave students time to draw their painting outline on watercolour paper. The next day students had time to paint:

Student’s Working Hard on Creating Their Watercolour Painting

F) To conclude, student shared their paintings through an oral sharing circle and the art was hung up in the hallway to share with the rest of the school:

Student’s Art on Display in the Hallway

3. What Helps Me Grow: Transitioning to Middle School

The students in my practicum class are transitioning to middle school this upcoming fall. Because of this, I had students create their own “seed packets” about themselves to give their upcoming teacher ways to support their growth! This idea was adapted from Dr. Shelley Moore. You can find the IEPEA template here. Below are a few student examples:

IEPEA Seed package activity- From Shelley Moore

Student Sample #1:

Front
Back

Student Sample #2:

Front
Back

Student Sample #3:

Front
Back

Student Sample #4:

Front
Back